Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Hank Aaron, Baseball and #756

Even though I've been a baseball fan since about 1975, a year after Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's home run record, I really had no idea how I'd react when Barry Bonds hit #756. Well, I was working at CN8, just myself and the Bryguy. The show I work for, Out of Bounds, was on the air, about 11 or 12 minutes before sign-off. Bonds came to the plate, and I said to myself, "ok, let's take a look at this, just in case." Bonds hit the 3-2 pitch, and my first reaction was "OH, THERE IT IS!!" But before the ball could land into the seats in center field, my thoughts changed to "eh, there it is." I honestly did not care. What should have been a huge moment in any sports fans life, was just a shrug of the shoulders for me. We immediately aired the 'historic' moment on Out of Bounds, and instead of hanging out and watching the on-field festivities from San Francisco, taking in the entire atmosphere of the moment, I just turned to Bryguy and said "ok, I'm outta here." I really did not care, and that makes me sad. I do not want to bring up the words steroids, cheater, or asshole. I just want to enjoy sports again, like I did back in 1975.

1 comment:

THE BRYGUY said...

How old were you in 1975? I bet you enjoyed lots of things in 1975 more than you do now. Don't be so dramatic! I used to be more excited about wrestling in 1975 too. Why don't you blog about that?